Jump to Instructions.
Open Camera is an Open Source Camera app for Android phones and tablets. Features:
- Option to auto-level so your pictures are perfectly level no matter what.
- Expose your camera's functionality: support for focus modes, scene modes, color effects, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation/lock, face detection, torch.
- Video recording (including HD).
- Handy remote controls: timer (with optional voice countdown), auto-repeat mode (with configurable delay).
- Option to take photo remotely by making a noise (e.g., voice, whistle), or by voice command "cheese".
- Configurable volume keys.
- Optimise GUI for left or right-handed users.
- Zoom via multi-touch gesture and single-touch control.
- Option to lock orientation to portrait or landscape for photo or video. Upside-down preview option for use with attachable lenses.
- Choice of save folder (including support for Storage Access Framework).
- Disable shutter sound.
- Overlay a choice of grids and crop guides.
- Optional GPS location tagging (geotagging) of photos and videos; for photos this includes compass direction (GPSImgDirection, GPSImgDirectionRef).
- Apply date and timestamp, location coordinates, and custom text to photos; store date/time and location as video subtitles (.SRT).
- Yes you can take a selfie (also known as front camera), includes support for "screen flash".
- Support for (some) external microphones.
- Widget to automatically take a photo after launching.
- Support for HDR and Exposure Bracketing.
- Support for Camera2 API: manual focus distance; manual ISO; manual exposure time; manual white balance temperature; RAW (DNG) files.
- Dynamic range optimisation mode for better quality photos.
- Small file size.
- Completely free, and no ads in the app. Open Source.
(Some features may not be available on all devices, as they may depend on hardware features, or the Android version.)
- Download from Google Play!
- Open Camera can also be installed from F-Droid.
- The APK files are also available from
(useful for installing on devices without access to Google Play, or side-loading, or if you want to install an
older version of Open Camera). You'll have to enable "Unknown sources" to allow installation of apps from sources other than
Google Play, on your device's Settings (usually under Security).
Open Camera is completely free, however if you wish you can show your appreciation and support future development by purchasing
my donation app from Google Play.
You can also donate through Paypal:
(Paypal account not required, supports debit or credit card).
Thanks! Donations can be used for: purchasing hardware for porting/testing; app store fees; beer money :)
Open Camera Blog ~
Discussion Forums ~
Code Repository (Git)
Open Camera requires Android 4.0.3 or better. I've tested Open Camera on my Nexus 6 (Android 5.0-7.0),
Nexus 7 (2013) (Android 5.0-6.0) and Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.3-4.3). Some features may only be available
on some devices (it may depend on Android version, or require specific support from the camera/device).
Note that it's not possible for me to test Open Camera on every Android device out there, let alone in combination with different
Android versions (or especially alternative ROMs like CyanogenMod). Please test before using Open Camera to photo/video
your wedding etc :)
See here for some more details on compatibility with various devices.
Open Camera is written by Mark Harman. Additional credits:
- App icon and take_photo.png, take_photo_pressed.png by Adam Lapinski.
- Improved selfie stick button support by Lau Keat Hwa.
- Option for filenames to be based on UTC (Zulu) time by David Pletcher ( lpm_sourceforge AT cathedralcanyon DOT net ).
- Support for manual ISO for old camera API on Asus Zenphone 2 Z00A and Z008 by Flávio Keglevich ( fkeglevich AT gmail DOT com ).
- Changing icons for pause/resume video by Johan Ejdemark ( johanejdemark AT hotmail DOT com).
- Azerbaijani translation by Eldost ( l-dost AT mail DOT ru ).
- Brazilian tranlation by Kaio Duarte.
- Chinese Simplified translation by Michael Lu ( yeskky AT gmail DOT com ).
- Chinese Traditional translation by You-Cheng Hsieh ( yochenhsieh AT gmail DOT com ).
- Belarusian translation by Zmicer Turok.
- Czech translation by Jaroslav Svoboda ( multi DOT flexi AT gmail DOT com ).
- French translation by Olivier Seiler ( oseiler AT nebuka DOT net ) and Eric Lassauge ( lassauge AT users DOT sf DOT net ).
- German translation by Ronny Steiner, Sebastian Ahlborn, Carsten Schlote.
- Hungarian translation by Báthory Péter.
- Italian tranlation by Valerio Bozzolan.
- Japanese translation by Mitsuse.
- Korean translation by Halcyonest.
- Polish translation by Jacek Buczyński.
- Russian translation by maksnogin ( maksnogin AT gmail DOT com ), Grigorii Chirkov and Dmitry Vahnin aka JSBmanD.
- Slovenian translation by Peter Klofutar.
- Spanish translation by Mario Sanoguera ( sanogueralorenzo AT gmail DOT com ) and Sebastian05067.
- Turkish translation by Serdar Erkoc ( serdarerkoc2004 AT yahoo DOT com ).
- Ukranian translation by Olexandr.
- Earlier versions (pre-Material Design) have an icon/logo by Cosmin Saveanu ( http://aboutfoto.wordpress.com/ ).
Google Play requires me to disclose that Open Camera will record camera sensor and microphone data, which is used for the purpose
of taking photos and recording videos.
Location permission is required for geotagging of photos, but this is disabled by default. If enabled, your location is encoded
in the saved image and video files (and it is only used for this purpose).
serve ads based on a user's previous visits to this website or other websites. Google's use of advertising cookies enables it and
its partners to serve ads based on people's visit to this sites and/or other sites on the Internet. You may opt out of personalised
advertising by visiting Google's Ads Settings.
Open Camera is released under the GPL v3 or later. The source code is
The following files are used in Open Camera:
- earth.png from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NASA_Earth_America_2010.jpg , public domain.
- exposure_locked.png, focus_mode_locked.png modified from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/128411/antivirus_close_forbid_hide_lock_locked_password_privacy_private_protection_restriction_safe_secure_security_icon#size=64 , by Aha-Soft, under CC BY 3.0 (no need to credit me).
- exposure_unlocked.png modified from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/128416/free_freedom_hack_lock_open_padlock_password_secure_security_unlock_unlocked_icon#size=64 , by Aha-Soft, under CC BY 3.0 (no need to credit me).
- flash_red_eye.png, popup_flash_red_eye.png from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/103177/eye_see_view_watch_icon#size=128 , by Designmodo, under CC BY 3.0 (no need to credit me).
- flash_torch.png, popup_torch.png from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/51924/bulb_light_icon#size=128 , by IconFinder - http://www.iconfinder.net , by CC BY 3.0.
- focus_mode_macro.png from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/81105/macro_mb_icon#size=128 , by Yankoa - http://yankoa.deviantart.com/ , under CC BY 3.0.
- gallery.png from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/6915/book_gallery_images_photos_pictures_icon#size=128 , by Alessandro Rei - http://www.kde-look.org/usermanager/search.php?username=mentalrey , under GPL v3.
- switch_video.png - merged from images https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/81087/mb_photo_icon#size=128 and https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/81197/mb_rec_video_icon#size=128 by Yankoa - http://yankoa.deviantart.com/ , under CC BY 3.0 (no need to credit me).
- take_video.png, take_video_pressed.png from https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/81197/mb_rec_video_icon#size=128 , by Yankoa - http://yankoa.deviantart.com/ , under CC BY 3.0.
- flash_auto.png, flash_off.png, flash_on.png, ic_burst_mode_white_48dp.png, ic_exposure_white_48dp.png, ic_face_white_48dp.png, ic_hdr_on_white_48dp.png, ic_help_outline_white_48dp.png, ic_info_outline_white_48dp.png, ic_mic_red_48dp.png, ic_mic_white_48dp.png, ic_more_horiz_white_48dp.png, ic_pause_circle_outline_white_48dp.png, ic_photo_camera_white_48dp.png, ic_photo_size_select_large_white_48dp.png, ic_power_settings_new_white_48dp.png, ic_save_white_48dp.png, ic_text_format_white_48dp.png, ic_timer_white_48dp.png, ic_touch_app_white_48dp.png, ic_videocam_white_48dp.png, popup*.png, settings.png, share.png, switch_camera.png, trash.png - from https://developer.android.com/design/downloads/index.html / https://github.com/google/material-design-icons/ / https://design.google.com/icons/, by Google, under CC BY 4.0.
- beep.ogg, beep_hi.ogg - from http://opengameart.org/content/interface-beeps , by bart, under CC0 (public domain).
Open Camera on Sourceforge.
More of my Free software.